Debugging is a process of finding errors during execution of your program being tested. Usually programs used for this are called "debuggers" and allow you to run program line by line, stop at selected line, evaluate or change current values of program's variables.
Even if you are expert in C++ programming, you can find some interesting topics here:
- Mastering Debugging in Visual Studio 2010 - A Beginner's Guide - Abhijit Jana, 2010
- examples are for C#, but C++ debugging should not be very different
- Getting Started with the Visual C++ Debugger - Dr. Vicki H. Allan (Utah State University)
- 5 Awesome Visual Studio Debugger Features - basic introduction by Alex Allain
- Debugging Tips with Visual Studio 2010
- Debugging Native Code - msdn.microsoft.com
Setup to browse class contents your way while inside debugger:
- Setting up Visual Studio Debugger Visualizers
- How to Write Native C++ Debugger Visualizers in Visual Studio for Complicated Types - Chris Johnson, 2010
- Debugger Type Visualizers for C++ in Visual Studio 2012 - Visual CPP Team, 2012
- Create custom views of native objects in the debugger - VS 2013
- Writing debugger type visualizers for C++ using .natvis files
Skip common functions you don't want to debug:
- Stop wasting time stepping into functions you don't care about in Microsoft Visual Studio (C++)
- Has the VS2012 NativeDE\StepOver registry entry that prevents step-into for specific functions changed format? - stackoverflow.com
- LinuxDebugging - tips for debugging on Linux - chromium
GDB is an open source debugger used on Linux as default one.
- Beej's Quick Guide to GDB
- How to Debug a C or C++ Program on Linux Using gdb
- GNU GDB Debugger Command Cheat Sheet
- GDB Features for C++
- Use of Debuggers - Professor Daniel Spiegel
- Debugging and profiling your C/C++ programs using Free Software - Xenofon Papadopoulos, 2009
- Debugging with GDB
- Tips for debugging on Linux - "Chromium-specific debugging tips"
- Beej's Quick Guide to GDB - Brian "Beej Jorgensen" Hall, 2009
- gdb advanced debugging. - 2010
- Advanced Debugging with gdb - David Khosid, 2009
- 8 gdb tricks you should know - Ksplice, 2011
- Cross Compiling and Cross Debugging C++ with Eclipse from Debian Squeeze x64 to Debian Squeeze ARM (Raspberry Pi)
- Debugging Multi-threaded Applications with gdb
- Debugging programs with multiple threads - The Free Software Foundation, 2003
- STL GDB evaluators/views/utilities - yolinux.com
DDD is a visual frontend for GDB debugger.
- Debugging C++ with Eclipse
- Eclipse : How to debug a C++ console application using a native Windows console instead of the IDE integrated one ?